> the liberty being offered is not so dangerous

Parameter-wise, true, - if it is understood that you are now *modeling with
little evidence*.
How much electron density to affirm your model choices would one expect at
say 7 ideal rotamers - which on top of static split will likely display
dynamic motion?

On the other hand, the side chain HAS to be somewhere, and a distribution of
the most probable rotamers with their respective frequencies may be more
realistic
than all other options (as long as the lack of specific experimental
evidence is acknowledged).

But overall, that model might be better due to the more reasonable prior
expectation term
although the R-value will be practically unaffected due to the lack of
localized scattering contributions.

Anyhow, if it can be abused, it will be ;-)

Best BR