One comment I'd like to add here is that in the presence of
pseudo-translational ncs that is nearly colinear with crystal axes you
will have a significantly higher R-value.  This may be a serious problem
with some reviewers when your R~30% on a 2A dataset.  It is completely
justified then to have the R-values calculated excluding absences.
Perhaps refinement programs should do this automatically if the
pseudo-translation is detectable? (perhaps as advisory output)