From: Eugene N <[log in to unmask]>
Date: March 24, 2012 6:33:27 PM GMT
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CFP - Theory, Action and Impact of Social Protest: An Interdisciplinary Conference

Call for Papers:   Theory, Action and Impact of Social Protest: An Interdisciplinary Conference
University of Kent - Canterbury, UK

October 13-14th, 2012

Abstracts due by JUNE 15, 2012

We are pleased to invite you to the 1st interdisciplinary social movements conference, sponsored by University of Kent’s Centre for the Study of Social and Political Movements, the School of Psychology, the ESRC South East DTC Advanced Training at SSPSSR, the Conflict Analysis Research Centre in the School of Politics & IR and the Kent Graduate School’s Postgraduate Experience Award.

Recently, social movements such as the Occupy movement, the Arab Spring and the Spanish Indignados have made headlines and grabbed the attention of power-holders and citizens. Historically, social movements have contributed to social, political and economic change. We wish to explore these elements at this conference with an interdisciplinary approach.

The conference will be held on the university campus on OCTOBER 13th–14th, 2012 with a Keynote Address by PROF. CHRISTOPHER ROOTES of the University of Kent.

The aim is to explore the study of social movements with a variety of academiclenses and attempt to develop collaboration between disciplines on the study. We seek contributions for a broad range of disciplines and a mixture of disciplines including sociology, law, psychology, politics, economics, cultural studies, history, geography, philosophy, literature, and film studies. We hope to use this conference as a forum to bridge some of the gaps between the different disciplines and their work in the field of social movements.

We seek contributions from all scholars including postgraduate students. Proposals will be selected on their merit and in consideration of their academic discipline, with a preference to integrate a wide variety of fields. We are open to themes such as

- past and present collective actions
- social and political theory
- motivation, mobilization, or outcomes
- methodology
- macro- and micro-processes
- art in and from protest
- legal or economic implications and considerations
- other related topics

To offer a paper, please submit a short [300-500 words] proposal to: There is a registration fee of £10 for participants and attendees. Registration for post-graduate participants is free thanks to contributions made by the School of Psychology.

CONFERENCE PAPERS

Those giving papers are asked to supply them in advance. If selected, your paper will appear in the first edition of the online Journal for the Study of Social and Political Movements. Papers should be between 3,000 to 6,000 words in length.

CALL FOR PAPERS

Eugene Nulman
School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research (SSPSSR)
Cornwallis North East
University of Kent
Canterbury
Kent CT2 7NF

EMAIL : [log in to unmask]

For updates visit: http://taispconference.wordpress.com

Organizing Committee:

Juuso Miettunen
School of Politics and International Relations
University of Kent

Nikos Sotirakopoulos
School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research
University of Kent

Eugene Nulman
School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research
University of Kent

Teresa Randazzo
School of Economics
University of Kent