Hi all,

Please find detail of a conference below which I hope may be of interest to some of you.

Best wishes,

Stefan

Oral Labour Histories: Britain at Work 1945-95

Britain at Work (B@W) in association with:

British Universities Industrial Relations Association (BUIRA) IR History Group and

Oral History Society

For further details or to reserve a place, please contact Michael Gold (01784-443402) or email [log in to unmask]

SYMPOSIUM

The Goss Room, Bishopsgate Institute, 230 Bishopsgate (nearest tube: Liverpool Street Station)

Saturday 24 March 2012, 10am-4pm

Click on this hyperlink for full location details:

http://www.bishopsgate.org.uk/content.aspx?CategoryID=980

Programme

Coffee/ tea 10.00am

Welcome and introduction: Michael Gold (10.30am) – Oral History with a Purpose – Oral Labour History

Opening address: ‘Labouring Memories’, 10.45 – 11.30am

Graham Smith, Chair of the Oral History Society

Round table introductions: 11.30 – 1.00pm

Five minutes from everyone (if they wish), saying who they are, the project(s) they are involved in and their interest in oral labour history

Lunch 1.00-2.00pm

Panel discussions (both in plenaries)

2.00-3.00pm

1. Labour v. local history? (led by Linda Clarke; rapporteur Stef Dickers)

  • Can oral history ‘plug the gaps’ in labour history? (Mary Davis)
  • Ethical uses of oral history (Chris Wall)
  • Oral history methods and occupational health and safety (Arthur McIvor)
  • What can oral history tell us about our industries? (Dave Welsh)

3.00-4.00pm

2. How to promote oral labour history? (led by Joanna Bornat, Oral History Society; rapporteur Jeff Howarth)

  • Funding projects (Judith Garfield)
  • Gathering and storing material (Elisabeth Bennett, Sian Williams)
  • Dissemination, including websites and digital archiving (Chris Coates)

4.00-4.30pm

Conclusions – what do we want to achieve from this conference? (Michael Gold)

Finish 4.30 (latest)