Dear Allstatters,

Can anyone clarify for me what is the fundamental difference between Discriminant Analysis & Multinomial Logistic Regression?  When I look these up on Wikipedia, neither article makes any reference to each other yet to my mind both have the same goal in mind i.e. to classify objects into one of multiple categories using a number of predictor/explanatory variables.  I ask because my version of R doesn’t have Discriminant Analysis installed but it does have Multinomial Logistic Regression and I wondering if there is a need to install an R package to do so.

Regards

Nigel Marriott

Chartered Statistician

www.marriott-stats.com

Ground Floor, 21 Marlborough Buildings, Bath BA1 2LY, United Kingdom

Tel (mobile)  +44 (0)773 4069997

Tel (office)    +44 (0)1225 489033

Fax                  +44 (0)870 6221969

Marriott Statistical Consulting Limited, Company No. 5577275, VAT No. 883304029

Registered in England,   Registered Office – Equity House, 4-6 School Road, Tilehurst, Reading, RG31 5AL

SIGNOFF allstat