From: JISC TechDis News [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allison Loftfield
Sent: 12 March 2012 16:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Copyright Consultation - Make a Difference

Dear colleagues

The Hargreaves Copyright consultation has implications for disabled learners. These could be positive or negative depending on how people respond. There are implications for such practical things as dyslexic people being entitled to alternative formats, learning providers being allowed to add subtitles to broadcasts, tutors creating easy read or symbol supported versions of key books and so on.

It is vitally important that the voices of disabled learners and those who support them are heard in this consultation. Few of you have the time to read the 171 page consultation document or the response form with 114 questions so JISC TechDis has worked with CALL Scotland and Professor Charlotte Waelde from University of Exeter to provide a guide to help you respond to the consultation quickly, easily and meaningfully.

The guide points you to five key questions with the most significant implications for disabled people. In a sentence or two we explain (for each question) what the implications are in Plain English then we give you a suggested response that you can either copy and paste or enhance with your own experiences. You will find the guide on our website at the below link.

http://www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/techdis/news/detail/2012/copyright_consultation

The closing date is March 21 so we encourage you to find some time this week to take five minutes to make a difference.

Best regards

The JISC TechDis Team

Allison Loftfield

Online Information & Communications Manager, JISC TechDis

T 01904 717580     M 07889 352802     E [log in to unmask]     S allison.loftfield

Web http://www.jisctechdis.ac.uk     Twitter @jisc_techdis     JISCmail JISC-TECHDIS

JISC TechDis, advising the education sector on technologies for inclusion and accessibility.

c/o The Higher Education Academy Building, Innovation Way, York Science Park, York, YO10 5BR.

A JISC Advance Service.

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy. Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131