With one exception I think we have failed to develop reports that convey uncertainty in a way that helps clinicians make better decisions.

Jonathan

On 14 Mar 2012, at 17:28, Indovina, Joe [OCDUS] wrote:

As a follow up question

Does anyone believe the receiver of this type of information, be it the physician or other type of care giver, understands what the result and the uncertainty information  means?

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JONES Stuart (Pathology) (RF4) BHR Hospitals
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Uncertainty and CPA

Dear all, we received a critical non-compliance in a recent CPA inspection around the issue of uncertainty (CPA Std F3.3). Whilst we have a document stating where uncertainty exists within our sample pathway and that we take this into account when interpreting results, it seems we also need to quantify uncertainty for specific analytes and make this information available to users. We'd be very interested to know how others have approached this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Stuart Jones
(Acting) Principal clinical scientist
Biochemistry
Queen's hospital
Romford

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/