Dear all,

I was wondering if there are cutmarks to be expected if one skins a
larger mammal's head and where these would be? Was the head skinned at
all in ancient times? Would they want to preserve the skin without the
bone? I was wondering about these questions because I have a maxilla
from an adult hyena in my material from Aswan which shows hack marks
behind P3 reaching through the orbit and some small cuts at the
preserved part of the orbit (zygomatic bone) as well as at the
dorso-oral rim of the fragment. Would you think this animal was skinned?

I found several references to Binford (1981), Bones : ancient men and
modern myths. Does someone have a pdf copy of this book by chance?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Johanna Sigl

PhD candidate