Beyond Experience: (Re)thinking Women, Violence and Trauma

An interdisciplinary conference at the University of Warwick
Saturday 3rd March, 2012

Keynote Speakers:               Griselda Pollock (University of Leeds)
                                               Susannah Radstone (University of East London)
Special Guest:                      Carmen Castillo (Paris)

'How can we reflect on women's experiences of political violence beyond victimhood? How do we account for 'the pain of others'? What place should we grant to 'experience' when discussing cultural traumas? How can feminist research account for the range of women's experiences of violence? These are some of the questions that this one-day conference seeks to address. The aim of the interdisciplinary event is to challenge the gendered stereotypes and myths that characterise the discourse on women and violence, both within and beyond academia. Participants include scholars from a range of fields, and the film maker Carmen Castillo, who will present and discuss her work.
Further information about the event and the two conference panels 'Moving beyond the perpetrator/victim dichotomy: theorising women's roles in political violence' and 'Regarding the pain of others: re-presentations of traumatic events in film and visual arts' can be found in the attached programme and on the conference website http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/hrc/confs/be/.

Please register soon to secure a place.

If you have questions about the conference or the registration, contact Elizabeth Ramirez ([log in to unmask]) or Katharina Karcher ([log in to unmask]).