Dear All,

I would also be very grateful if you could make available the judgment.

David, am I correct to understand from your e-mail that the criminal offence deducted from section 297 CDP Act 1988 is not clear? Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Paragraph 55.(iii).c) of the Judgment of the European Court of Justice refers the question submitted: “Do Articles 28, 30 and/or 49 EC preclude enforcement of a national law (such as section 297 of the [Copyright, Designs and Patents Act]) which makes it a criminal offence dishonestly to receive a programme included in a broadcasting service provided from a place in the United Kingdom with intent to avoid payment of any charge applicable to the reception of the programme, in any of the following circumstances: […]”.

Allegedly the delimitation of the paragraph 1 of the section 297 CDP Act 1988, i.e. “provided from a place in the United Kingdom” may lead to confusion in the case, but the broadcasting is indeed from the UK in this case.

Plus, the protection of the copyrighted materials will still be available, since the Premier League has not received a fee from those who make the communication to the public of their IP.

Many thanks,

Alfonso Valero.

Alfonso Valero
Solicitor and Abogado