From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of MCLAREN, Donald [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] Normalization errors and Artifacts. Are they related?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Vaibhav Tyagi <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Dear SPMers,

I am acquiring EPI data to standardize fMRI paradigm for one of my
studies. Unfortunately, the acquired EPI images are having artifacts in
the form of a chunk of missing data (images 1 & 2 attached for reference
are raw EPI images). Can someone confirm whether I can use any specific
analysis to correctly analyze this data. In order to see how SPM handles
such data, I have already performed pre-processing and GLM analysis. The
activation map is shifted down with respect to standard MNI glass brain
window (image 3 attached for reference, at p < 1 uncorrected).

I have several questions regarding this problem -

1. What may be the possible cause of this kind of artifact in the images?

Metal on the head or in the scanner.

What can be the remedy?

Make sure there is nothing that could cause signal dropout.

You should see similar missing areas on your other scans from this same subject.

2. Are such image artifacts causing the normalization errors? If yes, then
I would expect 'SPM normalize' function to stretch EPI images up (to fill
the missing space). Why are the normalized images shifted down?

SPM normalizes the whole brain. As such if I take a chunk out, then it might align everything else, but not be able to normalize that portion. You have to remember, normalization can't create data that didn't exist. If can't pull data from one part of the brain into the part that is missing.

I'd look at the T1 and see if the artifact is there. Also, if you have the localizer or scout image still, it should be apparent in that image. If you have dropout that is potentially due to metal, I'd remove the subject and find the metal or figure out what is causing the artifact before continuing the scan.

Thanks in anticipation.

-Vaibhav Tyagi
Speech and language laboratory
National brain research centre
Gurgaon, India

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht onterecht
ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en de afzender direct
te informeren door het bericht te retourneren. Het Universitair Medisch
Centrum Utrecht is een publiekrechtelijke rechtspersoon in de zin van de W.H.W.
(Wet Hoger Onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek) en staat geregistreerd bij
de Kamer van Koophandel voor Midden-Nederland onder nr. 30244197.

Denk s.v.p aan het milieu voor u deze e-mail afdrukt.

This message may contain confidential information and is intended exclusively
for the addressee. If you receive this message unintentionally, please do not
use the contents but notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. University
Medical Center Utrecht is a legal person by public law and is registered at
the Chamber of Commerce for Midden-Nederland under no. 30244197.