Dear Gabor,

in order to perform an asymmetry analysis in VBM you have to use a symmetrical template. The symmetrical template that I provide with my toolbox can be used for that purpose and should be selected as TPM image in VBM8. However, it is not possible to use DARTEL because the provided DARTEL template is not symmetric and there is no easy way to do this. Thus, you have to deselect the DARTEL option in VBM8.
You can use the attached tool to calculate the lateralization index.

Regards,

Christian