On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Ben Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear SPMers,

we used a blocked design fmri-paradigm to investigate intervention effects in a single-subject. The patient was scanned twice (t1 & t2); the design incorporated 3 social (s1, s2, s3) and a non-social control condition (c).  To investigate intervention effects regarding the specific effects on social stimuli I’d like to use the following design:

1)      First level design with two sessions & the following conditions:

            s1(t1)  s2(t1) s3(t1) c(t1) s1(t2) s2(t2) s3(t2) c(t2)

           Would the following t-contrast reveal the stronger activity at t1 specific to social stimuli:
           1/3 1/3 1/3 -1 -1/3 -1/3 -1/3 1 ?

No. The contrast tests the difference of social-non-social between t1 and t2. The test says nothing about the difference only being in the social conditions. Secondly, the word stronger coud be misleading. If social-nonsocial at t1 is zero and social-nonsocial is negative at time 2, then you'd get a positive effect. I try to use the word higher or larger.

2)      If I would test a control group twice with the same paradigm: could I use the above mentioned interaction contrast in a two-sample
             t- test (according to rik henson’s comparing a single subject against a group of controls)?

If you have the contrast above in a bunch of controls and then you have the same contrast for a single patient, then yes you could use his approach. Keep in mind that the results would represent a three-way interaction of stimuli*time*group.

Thanks in advance & best regards

Ben