On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Ben Becker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear SPMers,
>
> we used a blocked design fmri-paradigm to investigate intervention effects
> in a single-subject. The patient was scanned twice (t1 & t2); the design
> incorporated 3 social (s1, s2, s3) and a non-social control condition (c).
>  To investigate intervention effects regarding the specific effects on
> social stimuli I’d like to use the following design:
>
> 1)      First level design with two sessions & the following conditions:
>
>             s1(t1)  s2(t1) s3(t1) c(t1) s1(t2) s2(t2) s3(t2) c(t2)
>
>            Would the following t-contrast reveal the stronger activity at
> t1 specific to social stimuli:
>            1/3 1/3 1/3 -1 -1/3 -1/3 -1/3 1 ?

No. The contrast tests the difference of social-non-social between t1 and
t2. The test says nothing about the difference only being in the social
conditions. Secondly, the word stronger coud be misleading. If
social-nonsocial at t1 is zero and social-nonsocial is negative at time 2,
then you'd get a positive effect. I try to use the word higher or larger.

> 2)      If I would test a control group twice with the same paradigm:
> could I use the above mentioned interaction contrast in a two-sample
>              t- test (according to rik henson’s comparing a single subject
> against a group of controls)?

If you have the contrast above in a bunch of controls and then you have the
same contrast for a single patient, then yes you could use his approach.
Keep in mind that the results would represent a three-way interaction of
stimuli*time*group.