The visibility/permeability issue is as old as space syntax as far as I can remember, but the development of this research thread by various members of the space syntax community and the theoretical, social and methodological issues it raises has not been systematically explored.

Some references:

The paper with Tad Grajewski: Architecture, Narrative and Promenade, in Benson and Forsyth's Museum of Scotland', arq 2000, later published in chapter 7 of Architecture and Narrative, 2009, Routledge). The Museum of Scotland is a very complex building spatially and visually with many voids including the main atrium and a number of shafts. We used convaxial analysis and linked spaces across atria and voids by connecting those convex spaces that were inter-visible along the third dimension. We used this analysis to discuss (amongst others) the cultural messages articulated by the exhibition design with particular reference to the void that integrates a number of floors around the theme of industry and technology in Scotland. Including vertical links of this kind in the analysis is a standard method that has been in use since early days. For example, I remember a MSc paper (AAS, UCL) by Dickon Irwin on the Victoria and Albert Museum (1988) where he did something similar. I am sure there have been studies earlier than this.

See also Psarra et al (SS 6) for an analysis of Taniguchi's latest remodelling of the MoMA, and Kaynar et al (SS 7) for an analysis of the MoMA, Kahn's Yale Centre of British Art and Meyer - Piano's Atlanta High.

The interplay between visibility and permeability is architects' favourite theme and is used as a way of integrating in section (void - for orientation and lighting purposes as well as for dramatic effect) and bridging over in plan what is separated in section (bridges, plateaus, etc.). It is also used to free space around a sculptural volume and give it three dimensional expression as in the case of Le Corbusier's assembly building in Chandigarh. It is also a way of dematerialising boundaries so that what works as a boundary in terms of access (void or a perforated wall) is dematerialised in terms of visibility relations (Soane's museum, chapter 5 in Architecture and Narrative). It is a way of establishing complexity at the level of the aesthetic and cognitive dimensions of buildings in terms of how boundaries register in our cognition as 'porous barriers', doing two things rather than just one.

Historically speaking, although it remains a standard characteristic of buildings in many different cultures for long period, it emerges as a conscious strategy in architecture with the technical innovations of the 19th and 20th centuries. These innovations free spaces from masonry load bearing systems allowing architects the freedom to dissociate the plan from the section, the structural from the planning grids, various plans from each other, as well as excavate large areas out of building volumes and plans.

If it is not too far stretched, it is possible to argue that it also appears -although in a different context and form - in the 18th century landscape design (the ha-ha and other devices) as a way to abolish boundaries in the garden, 'leap the wall' and find that 'all nature is garden' (Alexander Pope on Capability Brown, Humphrey Repton and William Kent).

Socially speaking it might be possible to argue that by integrating and separating spaces from each other atria reduce the possibility of generating encounters but increase synchrony. They establish and celebrate group identity and togetherness, the expression of a public event, and so on. But depending on their position in the spatial system and the ways in which social solidarities are established in the building as a whole and in its various parts they can also be powerful generative spaces.

Not much work is done in terms of the social implications of the spatial and social asymmetry introduced by the visibility/permeability tension.

For a discussion of the social and political dimensions of museums and similar building types with atria that emerge at the same time with museums such as expositions, and department stores - seen through Foucault's theories of panopticism, power and social control -, see Bennet's The Birth of the Museum. As to visibility and permeability in the 18th century garden design there are strong social, political and economic issues there too (over and above the aesthetic gloss that most critics attribute to these landscapes).

Sophia

Dr Sophia Psarra
Reader of Architecture and Spatial Design
The Bartlett School of Graduate Studies
Faculty of the Built Environment
University College London (UCL)
14 Upper Woburn Place