Ensuring a good PhD completion rate

Your REF return will record those candidates who have actually been awarded a doctorate by July 31st 2013.

In this one-day workshop we will examine the causes of delays in doctoral completions and identify the procedures necessary to address them.  By the end of the day we will have developed a strategy for maximizing the number of your current students submitting and being awarded their doctorates in time to be included in your submission for the REF2014.

15th March

Woburn House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9HQ

John Wakeford

Fiona Denney, King’s College London

£295+vat

details and booking forms www.missendencentre.co.uk/s2

Effective supervision

A two-day residential seminar designed for both PhD supervisors and those responsible for training them to examine the key features of good supervision.  We will use a selection of narratives provided by supervisors and candidates to identify the key features of a good supervisory relationship and where things can go awry.

Students, now accustomed to being treated as ‘customers’, are increasingly pursuing complaints and appeals where universities do not meet their expectations – time consuming and costly for institutions and very bad for the institution’s record and image.  We will examine examples and how institutions can ensure such situations can be avoided.

All materials provided can be reproduced and used on in-house programmes

26/27 April

John Wakeford

£490+vat

details and booking forms www.missendencentre.co.uk/s3

Bidding for research funding: pathways to success

23/24 May and 24/25 May

Separate overlapping sessions:

23/24 May for academics and

24/25 May for research support staff

With Sarah Andrew, Dean of Applied and Health Sciences, University of Chester; Robert Crawshaw, Faculty of Arts and Social Science, Lancaster University

John Palfreyman, formerly Head of Contemporary Sciences, University of Abertay

£490+vat

www.missendencentre.co.uk/s4

REF ready? Critical mass? Impact? Quality and profile?

21/22 June

John Rogers, Director of Research and Knowledge Transfer, University of Stirling

Latest news. Advice on strategies. Bring along your questions.

£490+vat

www.missendencentre.co.uk/s5

All Missenden courses come with our unique money-back guarantee (see website)

Individual follow up, confidential advice and consultancy on applications also available.   Email [log in to unmask] with your needs. We provide a quote.

Booking enquiries [log in to unmask]  or call Eva on 01494 866811

John Wakeford
07905111415