http://www.qmu.ac.uk/cap/

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development
Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Neame ,Charles
Sent: 14 February 2012 16:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: If you ever considered doing a doctorate....[Scanned-Clean]

Hi Debra,

I think the key lies in your phrase 'motivated to complete what I
start'.  As your previous experience shows, it's always an uphill
struggle to complete a doctorate - and if it weren't, it wouldn't be
worth a light anyway.  I also have 'chapter one' of an attempted PhD
gathering dust on an ancient shelf somewhere, but found an EdD, some
years later, to be a very different, stimulating and valuable
experience. I did the IoE degree that Gwen mentions and loved it,
although there were some of our group who fell by the wayside, for sure.
You can never guarantee that life or disillusionment won't get in the
way of a successful outcome.  However, I found that the community of
support over the first two years in the taught phase got me to the point
where I was much better prepared for the lonelier phase that follows,
and that certainly helped me follow through.  And the community was
still there throughout, in the background.  It still is, in fact,
although it's shrunk to a handful of people now, but they remain very
valuable to me.

My motivation (and everyone is different, of course) was first, to do
something I wanted to do (as simple as that, though I kept it quiet to
start with); second, to increase my professional capability and
confidence (it worked very well, I must say, and this was my 'official'
motivation); and third (and least), to avoid those excruciating moments
in meetings in pompous ivory towers where everyone realises there's
someone in the room who actually isn't a "Dr.", and they all pause for a
moment and shuffle their papers awkwardly!  But when I look back, it's
the first reason that really counts.  If you want to do it, perhaps you
should!

With best wishes,

Charles

Charles Neame