Dear all

I have received the following question, and will be very grateful for any ideas:

"I've read somewhere that Rudyard Kipling had the following to say about Newfoundland.

“Newfoundland, a magnificent place, full of the gaudiest and richest stuff. Mark my words, keep your eye on Newfoundland."

 However, I haven't been able to track down the original source. Would you please be able to help me in this regard?

Thank you!"

My response is as follows:

"Thank you for your very interesting question about a Kipling quotation. I have found the place where you might have read it which was in the President's Report for 1999-2000 where  an Oration honouring David Christian Ward began:

"Oration honouring David Christian Ward
Dr. Alice Collins, university orator
In 1961 Dr. Raymond Gushue, then president of Memorial University, addressing the last graduating class of Memorial University College quoted Rudyard Kipling, who asked: “What part of the world will bring forth new marvels of the future?” Kipling prophesied: “Newfoundland, a magnificent place, full of the gaudiest and richest stuff. Mark my words, keep your eye on Newfoundland.” To which Dr. Gushue added: “Among the rich stuff of the province are the men and women who come out of Memorial University” whom he exhorted to avail of opportunities and to make their contributions to the world."

Unfortunately this gets us no further forward on when and where Kipling made the comment! I thought it might have been during his speaking tour of Canada in Sept-Oct 1907but no luck so far

I have tried tracking it down in my references, but without success so far"

Please can anyone help?

Yours, David

David Page

.