From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robin Wil kinson
Sent: 13 February 2012 16:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Invite - science press officer training day

List members (particularly new joiners) may be interested in the below.

Stempra would like to invite you to a free science press officer training day we are organising at the Geological Society of London, Friday 16th March (10:30am-4pm), followed by networking and drinks.

The event – which received excellent feedback from last year’s attendees – is to give those who are new, or fairly new, to science press work an overview of the field. This event may also be suitable for experienced press officers who would like to refresh or update their skills, those moving to work on science from other areas, or those for whom science forms only a part of a wider remit.

Topics include:

Confirmed speakers include:

 < /span>

There will also be a panel of UK national news/ science journalists and leading science press officers, including:

The event will be divided up into two sessions with lunch break (lunch will be provided), and we’ll finish off over a glass of wine and the opportunity to network informally with your peers. We’ll get back to you with the agenda and other information nearer the time.

The event is completely free of charge.  However, owing to the size of the lecture theatre, numbers will be limited. We are keen to give these limited places to those who will benefit most from this event, so please contact us for a place only if you are new to the area or really feel you would benefit from updating your skills.

Please do not request a place unless you are absolutely sure you can attend this session and it is definitely in your diary. Places are limited and the demand for places is likely to be higher than we can accommodate.

If you wish to attend then please send your name, job title, institutional e-mail address and phone number(s) to [log in to unmask]  Please do not reply to this email as you will reply to the whole list.

If you have any colleagues who might be interested in this event, please pass this onto to them.

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptabl euse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send c ommands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]

****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************