On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Peter Jones | Redesign <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:  an intelligent commentary on our debate
about science. I have no disagreements. I completely agree with his remarks
with the exception of one small factual point.

Peter spoke approvingly of the American National Science Foundation's
(NSF's) attempt to fund more interdisciplinary research. As a former member
of one of their high-level advisory boards (with a budget of roughly $1
Billion/year), let me state that their definition of multidisciplinary may
not satisfy readers of this list.

NSF is primarily science focused, with small allowance for engineering, but
almost always the science side of engineering. Although it funds design
within the engineering division, this is mostly rather hard-core
engineering design.  I have no quarrels with the quality of work being
funded: the review panels do an excellent and rather thankless job of
selecting those to be funded from the large number of submissions in the
face of the problem that there are far more worthy projects being submitted
than can be funded.  The workload is high, the work is done by volunteers,
but the dedication and quality of the reviewers is superb.  But the
reviewers are primarily hard core scientists and engineers.  (I am on lots
of NSF and national Academy committees as the token social scientist.)

NSF's emphasis is pretty hard-nosed. Social sciences are not treated well,
except for the experimental and mathematically oriented disciplines such as
economics, experimental psychology, and neuroscience-based studies of
cognition. Design, as practiced by most of the people on this list, is not
covered. To NSF, multidisciplinary is when a chemist and a computer
scientist get together, or perhaps a biologist, a physicist, and a computer
scientist, or a nano-technologist in mechanical engineering, a materials
scientist, and a molecular biologist and chemist all collaborate.  In other
words, all interested in the same rather narrow, well-specified problem,
bringing the specialized skills of their disciplines to bear on the
problem.  This is a very good thing to do,  but not nearly as broad a
disciplinary reach as this group is seeking.

It is possible for designers to sneak into the funding pile by linking
themselves up with science or engineering projects, but the very fact that
they have to sneak in and be subordinate to the major science/engineering
based project makes the point.

Getting design recognized. Getting the human side of design and engineering
recognized is really difficult.

---

At yesterday’s meeting at IDEO (of which I wrote earlier), David Kelley
took me aside for a long rant about how impossible it was to hire real
designers at Stanford. David, the founder of the d.school, a full professor
of M.E. at Stanford, head of IDEO. Completely frustrated by academia.

Don