Dear Harold,

Thanks for your elegant post on the problem with problems. The nature
of problems and the different kinds and classes of problem form a
background issue to discussions of the wicked problem. Articulating the
issues sheds valuable light on the conversation.

Werner Kunz and Horst Rittel’s IBIS approach and the systems that
evolved from it such as dialogue mapping or issue mapping focus on
identifying the problem and its nature before attempting to deal with it
in some way.

The example of three participants who do not arrive at a common choice
for a shared experience such as dinner, a movie, or a travel route is a
good case of a problem that cannot be “solved” while it can be
“resolved.”

This reflects the original elements of the Greek word for problem as a
thing thrown or put forward. The Greeks used the word problem for a
question proposed for solution, a task, or question concerning the truth
of a statement. The Greeks also used the word to designate a difficult
question or situation, a puzzle, or a riddle.

This bears a close resemblance to the nature of the problem with
respect to the framing and perception of those who address the problem.
The problem may be an entity in the world that forces participants to
respond (“Houston, we’ve had a problem”). The problem may rise
from a decision to question a state of affairs that once seemed
unproblematic (absolute monarchy). It may involve reframing an issue
(the emergence of relativity theory from 19th century physics). The
nature of “the problem” depends on relations to the world within
which the problem is embedded, on perception, on framing, and a host of
other factors. One core idea of formal argument systems such as IBIS
involves explicitly teasing those issues out of the tangled mess of what
the problem might otherwise remain.

Understanding the nature of a problem plays a key role in how we
address the problem. That was the core issue of The Problem Comes First,
a 1986 book that Jens Bernsen wrote for the Danish Design Council.

A widely used aphorism states, “If your only tool is a hammer, every
problem looks like a nail.”

For me, the take-home message of your post is that understanding
problems better gives us a better set of tools to choose among. In
seeing problems for what they can be, we expand our tool-kit.

Warm wishes,

Ken

Professor Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished
Professor | Dean, Faculty of Design | Swinburne University of Technology
| Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask] | Ph: +61 3 9214 6078 |
Faculty www.swinburne.edu.au/design