Dear David,

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but in Denmark we have a unique system for bachelor design engineering and engineering students.

The model is, as I understand it, taken from the German education system. The study is called a Diploma Bachelor in that the education is seven semesters, rather than the usual six.

The interesting detail is that the students use the sixth semester as an internship study where they are fully embedded in a company and relate to the task(s) that company gives them, subject to their university's approval. In the seventh semester the students work on a graduate thesis that is wholly based on an internship carried out within a company with coaching and tuition from their university educators.

Most students choose to do their final thesis with the company that employed them in the sixth semester.

Yes, employed them!

As regards design engineering and engineering education, the relevant unions in Denmark have made agreements with industry representatives that the students are to be paid an agreed wage. This unlike students from design educations, who in many cases are burdened with having to work for free in their internships.

As far as industry and the unions are concerned this is a win-win situation. The students get nearly a year's industrial experience with university coaching and in the process get full union membership, which in the case of Denmark means they are more easily able to be employed in  traditional manufacturing or product development industries, as opposed to only looking for work in design agencies, and are entitled to unemployment benefit from the day they graduate.

Best,

Chris.

----------

On 1 Feb 2012, at 16:26, "Hodge, Robin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> To be honest - virtually nothing. However I have come across an excellent model used at the School of Creative Arts here at Ulster, whereby a number of ex dance students now have placements as apprentices within various dance studios in the province. I am aware that some of the funding comes from the NI Arts Council.
>

> Robin
>

> PR Hodge MA, BA (Hons), PG Dip (Media), FAETC, MIDI
> Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
> Partnership Manager, Faculty of Arts
> Programme Director Master of Design and Communication
>
> TEL: ext 75572
>
> Foyle Arts
> University of Ulster at Magee
> L/derry

-------------

from:

Chris Heape PhD

Head of Institute, Head of Research
The Institute for Product Design
Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences - HiOA
Norway

work at HiOA
e.mail: [log in to unmask]
e.mail: [log in to unmask]