Dear Stanislav,

You can find a bunch of my Design writings at: <http://kairosis.wordpress.com/>

These pieces are all jumbled up thanks to Google pulling down Knol and exporting its contents to Wordpress. I am yet to work out how to make these pages work the way I want them to.

You will find some of my stuff about design teaching in there but most of it remains in the realms of class examples. Since I am not actually teaching Design at the moment, these things are not in the front of my brain or my top draws.

Basically I taught a cluster of courses called Concepts of Design. Note: NOT Design Concepts! That is, I involved students in concepts that inform Design. We might have talked about the golden mean but we also talked about cosmologies and their impacts on our views of the world. We did root 2 and root 5 and root 7 but we also wrote stories about kitchens and laundries. We made illustrated haiku but we also explored the concepts of narrative frames that come out of Eisenstein and Kuleshov and Japanese aesthetics.

The aim was to always locate creativity and practice in a wide and rich cultural world that necessarily involved concepts and explicitly involved language as one of the formative ways of exploring, disclosing and expressing concepts.

Hence I listed a few generally available resources such as John Chris Jones and John Cage.

These experiments need to be directly related to the immediate worlds of the students so in Newcastle, we explored the beach as a designed space and a space to be designed. Korean students came up with some very interesting outsider takes. This part sounds a lot like anthropological and phenomenological approaches and yes, we went down such roads.

The final aim, for me, was to provide students with a working understanding of their own  ways of making along with an understanding of alternative ways of making. I saw the endeavor as a whole of life learning thing. Hence we used Dewey's Art as Experience.

Hope this helps.

cheers

keith

>>> Stanislav Roudavski <[log in to unmask]> 02/09/12 4:43 PM >>>
Dear Keith,

I now have an occasion to return to this topic. So, I was wondering whether you might be able to point me to some of your publicly available work on these issues, direct me to some references or otherwise share some information on your educational practices. Your work sounds fascinating but basic Googling does not yield much detail (or maybe I do not know how to look).

Thank you,

Stanislav