From: Randall Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Rethinking Risk and Adventure
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 2:09 AM

Hi – although it has been interesting to read the spiralling off that this thread has generated, I’d simply like to make an observation on Roger’s reference to the Campaign for Adventure – and to give you an opportunity to influence the campaign.

This is because we are actually carrying out a major review of the role and the future direction of the campaign right now.  The campaign was initiated by the English Outdoor Council, which remains its parent body and, as I’m actively involved in the Council, I’d be happy to act as a conduit for any ideas.  You’ll see from www.campaignforadventure.org that the aims of the campaign are very much broader than outdoor adventure – the campaign is concerned with encouraging the spirit of adventure in all walks of life, with enterprise, with the balance between risks and benefits and with significant societal problems such as the overuse of the precautionary principle.

Although we believe that the campaign has had some success in influencing public and media attitudes towards risk, we now think that it is time to review and refresh its direction and approach.  Roger’s reference to the campaign is therefore very timely – any suggestions welcomed.

Best wishes.

Randall