The only addition I have is to say that managers need some education around expectation as well which doesn’t go astray.  I noted that people generally expect that chemotherapy wipes people's fatigue out but the often misunderstood factor is the cumulative effect of radiotherapy on fatigue. often the greatest level of fatigue with radiotherapy occurs 2-3 weeks afterwards when it is least expected.

I have had people attend work during chemo albeit on modified work patterns and others who don’t surface at all. Managers make be looking for more precise advice but as Sharon has said, there are some things that are up to the psychological and physical response of the individual and all we can do is give them the options.

In the NHS, we have a modified programme for any immunocompromised individual whether as a result of a condition or of treatment and it is fairly common sensical. They don’t look after anyone who is known to be an infectious risk or a contact of an infectious illness until cleared (even if the employee has previously been known to be immune). Student nurses are not allowed in their first 2 years to work in any of the oncology or high risk of respiratory illness units such as ITU's until they prove that they have both refined their own hand washing techniques and had no infection issues, then they can choose these areas as an elective in their 3rd year. Surgical wards and theatre are considered ok because the patients are generally lower risk. For an experienced person, the risk reduction comes from their own vigilance and of having a relationship with the nurse in charge that doesn't 'forget' to let them know if there are any risks on the ward/unit that day.

New applicants who are immunosuppressed are restricted and it is up to the unit to determine if they can accommodate. We have one of the 3 ITU's which is unable to accommodate any more employees on restriction as it imposes a risk to staffing the unit. This is a legitimate call of the unit.

The same principles may be useful to you. Not everyone who undergoes chemo becomes immunosuppressed across the board of all illnesses but it is an assumption you have to make unless you can test them which is what we do for the childhood illnesses.

regards

Sue

Susan Gorton | OH Nurse Manager | Occupational Health Department | Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Trust | Level 3, Ormond House, 26-27 Boswell St., London WC1N 3JZ |020 7450 9200 Ext 0247 | DD to OHD 020 78138554 | Direct Fax 020 78138355 | Mobile 07833294568