Hello Cath

To develop the point you make about the oily rag in trouser pocket ­ you are
absolutely correct. . Did you also learn of the eponymous Percival Pott
(Pottıs fracture). Potts, an 18th century surgeon, identified the link
between scrotal cancer and working as a chimney sweep. If anyone has the
time to access it Hunterıs Diseases of Occupations is an interesting, if
heavy tome. In one of the editions of that book there is discussion of how
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle modeled Sherlock Holmes on Dr Joseph Bell, his
teacher at medical school. The writer highlights Bellıs observational skills
­ essential in a good clinician ­ doctor or nurse.

Best

Anne

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: