right - it depends on the purpose of your documentation. if you want the
documentation to replicate the actual performance as closely as
possible, then a screen recording (or some kind of replay function) is
the thing; but if it is to keep tangible traces of an ephemeral event,
then there are many other things besides a recording - chat,
screengrabs, scripts, media, publicity material etc. - which can create
an interesting record.

i find watching recordings of networked performances quite strange -
there is a flatness without the real-time interaction, & the glitches &
bumps that make the live event exciting can become awkward in a
recording. we have very different expectations of recorded digital
media/film/video and live performance/theatre, yet these expectations
can get mixed up when it comes to recordings of live events. for me the
focus is always on the live event.

great that you can log the chat in SL; in UpStage we use it to document
meetings as well as performances, audience responses also, & a lot as a
scripting tool when we are devising performances - improvising & then
reading over the chat log to find the bits that "worked".

h : )