Dear Mr. Palmer,

I forwarded your query (sent via Luba Nurse to the Textile Conservators Discussion List) to my friend who is a biologist and this is his response (below). I hope it helps solve the mystery.

best,
Virginia

From: Conor Blanchet <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: Mystery bracelet

At first blush, these immediately struck me as "Elk Ivory" or the smooth rounded canine teeth of the Elk.   I've attached a photo of them removed and cleaned from the animal.

Elk are the only North American animal that would have these but to be frank, I don't know if any of the camelids or other ungulates have them.  I'd bet that this is North American, but without more research, we can't rule out another origin
.

Virginia J. Whelan, Textile Conservator
Filaments Conservation Studio
740 Hazelhurst Avenue