From: Robin Whitworth
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:57 AM
Subject: RE: Fw: [mining-history] Capper Pass & Crowndale Smelting Works

I don’t have anything constructive to add to the areas below about RTZ Consultants and Capper Pass in Bristol, so have not replied to the trail.

What I can say is that all the Bristol paper archives were shipped to London when Rio Tinto closed its Bristol consultancy office at the end of 2007.  By then RTZ Consultants were effectively part of what is now the Rio Tinto Technology & Innovation group.  Most of the Bristol-based staff were either made redundant at the time of the move, or have subsequently retired, so the people who would instinctively know what the archives contained will have left Rio Tinto.

You may know that Capper Pass published a book about their Bristol operations in 1963.  Details from the British Library catalogue are as follows:

  a.. Title: 150 The first hundred and fifty years By Bryan Little [With plates, including portraits]
  b.. Author: Capper PASS AND SON, LTD
  c.. Contributor: Bryan D. G Little
  d.. Publication Details: London : Newman Neame, [1963]
  e.. Identifier: System number 002788638
  f.. Physical Description: 33 p. ; 8º.
  g.. Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 8280.aa.11.
  h.. UIN: BLL01002788638
regards

Robin