Hi Belinda,

This is a very interesting subject and one I have been exploring myself. I am doing my PhD on Obesity and intrapartum care and recently interviewed a number of obstetricians as part of this and neither myself nor any of my obstetric colleagues know of any definite evidence that suggests obesity alone (with no other co-morbidity) is an independent risk factor for intrapartum stillbirth. The evidence regarding intrauterine death, as far as i have seen, is all related to fetal loss during the antenatal period. All the guidance currently recommends continuous fetal monitoring, so i would be interested to know the evidence behind this recommendation and intend to explore this further as part of my work.

Hope this is helpful
Angela

Angela Pascall
Research Midwife
Liverpool Women's Hospital
0151 702 4355

>>> Belinda Cox <[log in to unmask]> 07/02/2012 11:50 >>>
Dear all,

We are discussing the issue around continuous fetal monitoring with a mother whom has a raised BMI (>35). Is there any evidence that suggests high BMI is an independent risk factor for poor fetal outcomes where there is no co morbidity?

What are you all doing in practice?

Thanks :-)

Belinda

Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust
Crown Street
Liverpool
L8 7SS
United Kingdom
Tel: (0151) 708 9988
Fax: (0151) 702 4028

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Trust. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This e-mail has been checked for viruses using anti-virus software.