christ, i had to re-write (and re-confirm) this simple post 4 or 5 times
because of screw-ups by the Jiscmailers, but in the end was hoisted on my own
petard.

From: Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]>

> though there are not all that many surviving examples of it, the iconography
of "Samson riding the lion" is

*NOT*

>particularly unusual in 12th c. French sculpture, and i certainly can't
pretend to know what meaning might have been attached to it (try the Glossa
Ordinaria, for starters).

> there must be some examples of it in Burgundy, and i think at Vienne...

> but the idea that "It's a misrepresentation of the biblical story" is a de
facto ludicrous Non Starter.

> float your question about surviving examples on the Medart list --you'll get
plenty of responses, and very likely an entré into the literature, Up with
Which i definitely not Kept.

> >> From: Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]>

capitals I (vaguely) referenced. It's a misrepresentation of the biblical
story.

> >> my guess is that that statement is a "misrepresentation" of the
> iconographic meaning intended by the ymagier.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]