medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Hello all,
I have the prayers (or at least some of them). What I'm interested in tracking down at the moment is the rhetorical/theological arguments for their efficacy.  The statutes prescribing these are often prefaced with some kind of statement like the one I just found from the Council of Salzburg of 1281, which begins by recalling Moses who "destroyed the enemies of his people not as a servant in battled, but rather by the praying of prayers."  This is a recurrent theme, and I'd like to flesh out the the medieval (12-13c, ideally) thinking on this.

cecilia
p.s., the prayers tend to be old Pro tempore belli and Contra Paganos texts; though sometimes we get a pro pace prayer. Someone suggested Alison McHardy's work which does trace some of this, but in a later period.