The short version of my query is whether  list members know of concrete examples of  the pope personally giving  dispensation  to enable someone to accept  an episcopacy,  or granting absolution for  serious  crimes, during the twelfth or thirteenth centuries? In the case of absolution, what would the procedure have been when a sinner arrived from the frozen north saying he could only be absolved in Rome? Details follow for those who are interested. I'm looking more for concrete examples than theory,  though every little bit helps!

I have three examples of  people  said to have gone to the Rome for dispensation or absolution. One case involved a twice-married bishop, the other two absolution  for acts of violence; in two cases the foundation  of a new diocese was probably an issue, and perhaps the real reason for the trip.

The first instance is earl Thorfinn of  Orkney, who after a viking career is said to have gone south to Rome, met the pope (presumably Leo IX, 1049-55) and  been absolved of his sins, after which he returned to Orkney and founded Christchurch at Birsay, 'where an episcopal see was first established': this has been read as indicating that Thorfinn himself founded the see.

Jón Ögmundarson, first bishop of Hólar, Iceland went to Rome, his saga tells us, because having been married twice he needed, and received, papal dispensation to become bishop.  Stephen Kuttner has argued that the Pope Paschal II could not possibly have given such dispensation.

More to the point with regard to Jón's journey is that his appointment would have resulted in the creation of a new diocese, and the Archdiocese for  Scandinavia at this time (1106), Lund, was itself only a year or two old.  Assuming Jón actually raised the matter, is it not conceivable that the creation of a new bishopric in the remote north would not outweigh Jón´s marital status in the eyes of the pope?

Finally, Sturla Sighvatsson  is said to have received absolution of all of his, and  his father´s , sins in Rome c. 1233.  We are told that he was led barefoot among all the churches in Rome and beaten at the main ones.  He was in the  company  of a Norwegian  bishop who had his own business in Rome, and we are not actually told that Sturla was absolved by the pope.

Authors of these sagas must have been aware of archepiscopal fulminations against violence directed to Iceland at the end of the 12th century, including the idea that violence against the church and its members resulted in  excommunication that could only be lifted by the pope himself.

Thanks in advance to anyone  who can shed light on this,
Meg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]