medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear Marjorie,
Many exegetes discuss the stones on the breastplate. Indeed, this passage is the basis for much of the medieval literature on gemstones. Perhaps the most easily accessible commentary is in Bede, On the Tabernacle, book 3 chapter 5 "On the Rational". There is a handy translation by Arthur Holder.
The most useful secondary sources are
Gerda Friess, Edelsteine im Mittelalter : Wandel und Kontinuität in ihrer Bedeutung durch zwölf Jahrhunderte (in Aberglauben, Medizin, Theologie und Goldschmiedekunst) (Hildesheim: Gerstenberg, 1980)
and
Christel Meier, Gemma spiritalis: Methode und Gebrauch der Edelsteinallegorese vom frühen Christentum bis ins 18. Jahrhundert (München : W. Fink, 1977) [I believe only one volume was ever published, though 2 were planned].
Also quite useful is Peter Kitson, "Lapidary traditions in Anglo-Saxon England: part I, the background; the Old English Lapidary," Anglo-Saxon England, 7 (1978), pp. 9-60.
I don't off hand remember anyone discussing the left/right question. Most writers simply follow the biblical text on the order of the stones, without worrying about direction. This is an interesting question! I will have to look carefully at images of Ezra.
Best,
Genevra