Title: ŒA TV Show by any other name: The changing meanings of
³multiplatform² at the BBC¹

Date: 8 February
Time: 2:00-4:00 pm
Room: A6.7, University of Westminster, Harrow Campus, Northwick Park Tube

Speaker: Dr James Bennett
Senior Lecturer in Television Studies, Royal Holloway, University of London

All welcome, but please notify Dr Anastasia Kavadia if you wish to attend:

Abstract: In 2006 the BBC launched Creative Future, a five-year editorial
strategy that promised the wholesale transformation of the public service
broadcaster to ³enable 360-degree commissioning and production and ensure
creative coherence and editorial leadership across all platforms and media².
Announcing the restructure Mark Thompson, the BBC Director General, heralded
the boldness of the BBC by proclaiming ³wherever possible we need to think
cross-platform: in our commissioning, our making, our distribution²
(Thompson, 2006). Yet by the end of that five year period multiplatform had
come to mean ³simply delivering [linear] content across a range of different
devices². Based on interviews with over 30 BBC insiders, this paper charts
the changing the meaning of multiplatform at the Corporation. From a 360š
future of platform native content envisaged in 2006, the BBC has come to
define multiplatform in terms of the iPlayer and programmes delivered
online. ³Multiplatform², therefore, has increasingly come to mean a ³TV show
by any other name².

Biography: Dr James Bennett is Senior Lecturer in Television Studies. His
work focuses on digital television as well as TV fame. He is currently the
Principal Investigator on a 2-year AHRC grant, multiplatforming public
service broadcasting (AH-H018522-2), which examines the role independents
and multiplatform productions play in the future of PSB. He is the author of
Television Personalities: Stardom and the Small Screen (Routledge, 2010) and
the editor (with Niki Strange) of Television as Digital Media (Duke
University Press, 2011) and (with Tom Brown) Film & Television After DVD
(Routledge, 2008). His work has been published in Screen, Cinema Journal,
Convergence, New Review of Film & Television, and Celebrity Studies Journal.