________________________________
 From: Joe Cutting <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: QR Codes

What about a compelling call-to-action?

If the poster or label doesn't tell me why I should scan their code,
I'm not going to bother.

It seems to me that part of the appeal of QR codes to institutions is that its a "secret" brand which lets you "hide" something behind a hi tech looking logo. Whether the public feels the appeal of the "secret" or is just a bit baffled is going to be interesting to see.

I'm intrigued by the stories of institutions providing QR codes but no free wi-fi or even content. That really seems to be getting it the wrong way round - QR codes are the easy bit and they're supposed to be the "gateway" which lets you access the content. Having a QR code and no free wi fi is like running your audio tour using a premium rate phone line - you won't get many takers.

Given that you need to provide free wi-fi there's no reason why the wi-fi can't take you straight to the museum's home page. Once on the home page you could type in a number to take you to the information about a particular object. I'd be very interested to see a comparison of this type of "type in a number" system with QR codes. Would visitors appreciate the "sexyness" of QR codes or just go for the ease of typing in a number?

Cheers

Joe

Joe Cutting
Digital exhibits and installations