Hi

Just thought I’d add my perspective here.

TBH we are not really interested in the lists on Aspire looking like a formal reference e.g. being in the Harvard or Vancouver style. The main reason for this is that we too use our own version of Harvard and unless we could have a list that exactly reflected this format it could cause problems for the students using it. For example we can envisage students copying and pasting the reference, thinking it is alright and then being marked down. Equally we also officially allow students to use a version of Vancouver, our law department has its own style, and the Art school also has its own version as well. So a list in a Harvard style would be no use to any of them.

So for us Aspire remaining distinct and easy to understand and navigate is more important. In fact we think it works better like this as it emphasises the interactivity of the links because this format more closely reflects a catalogue or a website e.g. Amazon.

I can see that it would be useful to have an option to sort by author though (currently the options are type and title).

Equally the exporting option could be hugely useful. We support and teach RefWorks and when references are exported to this they can then be formatted in any form the student liked. I can also see some use for exporting the references to a word document although that could enable staff to send that list to people rather than use Aspire which would be a backwards step.

And that is it from me.

Victoria Farmer
Faculty Liaison Adviser
Robert Gordon University

For the latest library news visit our blog: Library Matters