Ian Haydock wrote:

> People from outside libraries tend
> to be very frustrated by the complexity of library systems (or maybe
> just libraries!), which in turn limit integration with other systems,
> while possibly being unaware of the fact that much of this complexity
> has been added to meet the demands of library users.

I understand some of this.
Currently we have a conventional library catalogue system and, separately, a bibliographic database system. Bibliographic reference data, index terms and so on are typed into each independently; index terms come from separate controlled lists evolved for different purposes; and the systems are searched separately. We would like a system to bring it all together, so data entry happens once and searching covers both library content and the database.

Backwards compatibility is just one of the problems.

--
Sheila Thomas BA MCLIP MWeldI
Weldasearch Manager

The information in this e-mail is confidential, and may be legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the person(s) specified in the
above address.  Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised,
and any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of this e-mail
is prohibited and may be unlawful.  We will not under any
circumstances have any responsibility or liability arising out of
or in connection with any unauthorised use of this e-mail.
Please inform us if this message has gone astray before deleting it.

Please note that all e-mail is monitored.

When sending e-mails to TWI, please help us by including
your name, company, and details in your e-mail signature.

Seeking Technical Information? Industrial Members can
access data as registrants on http://www.twi.co.uk