Hello

> Today we had found that our BDII fails the freshness test with the
> usual LDAP modify error "Unknown error(28)".  It turned out that the
> size of the tmpfs partition for /var/run/bdii/db was too small (1.5G):
> after some operation time, the DB grows larger, so there will really
> be update errors that will lead to the non-fresh information in the
> BDII.
> I had created the ticket,
>    https://ggus.eu/ws/ticket_info.php?ticket=79393
> that enables one to customize the size for tmpfs partition and we're
> currently running with 2.4G limit.

> I wonder if any other sites who
> run top-level BDII nodes and using tmpfs for database see this problems
> or it is our local configuration strangeness that makes DB to grow
> past the default limit?

We had this problem on our top-BDIIs in NGI_PL but it has been fixed in
December by increasing tmpfs size to 3.5GB.

We also define
NETWORK_TIMEOUT 10
in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf to prevent infoprovider from hanging on ldap
queries if remote ldap port is filtered with -j DROP

Currently we are facing timeouts but cause has not yet been identified

2012-02-19 13:00:03,929: [ERROR] Timed out while reading
/var/lib/bdii/gip/provider/glite-info-provider-top
2012-02-19 16:11:22,056: [ERROR] Timed out while reading
/var/lib/bdii/gip/provider/glite-info-provider-top
2012-02-19 18:04:57,927: [ERROR] Timed out while reading
/var/lib/bdii/gip/provider/glite-info-provider-top

Cheers,
--
Lukasz Flis