Dear All,

I wanted to get in touch to give you all a quick update on the County District Parish (CDP) searching in the Heritage Gateway website. As part of our ongoing commitment to improving the Heritage Gateway, English Heritage has recruited a temporary web developer, Niranjana Basappa, to work on the website for at least 6 months. Niranjana started in January and the first piece of work she has carried out is to produce a prototype for a new way to search CDP/administrative areas on the website.

I am now pleased to be able to share the prototype with you and gather your feedback before deciding whether to implement this into the live website. As you will see in the screen shot below, a single field Administrative location search has replaced the previous 3 box County District Parish option. Whilst this doesn't solve all our CDP-related issues, I hope you will agree this goes some way to mitigating some of the problems our users have experienced.

[cid:675410617@09022012-36F7]

I would be grateful if you could please take a look at the new search by following the link below and provide me with the following information directly ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by Wed 22nd February 2012:

a). Would you prefer to see this new style replace the current version?
b). Do you have any feedback on the way this version is working/suggestions for improvement etc?

Before using the prototype please note this is a test version of the site and is only provided for comment on the Administrative Location search, other areas may not work as they do in live, or be as up-to-date as they are in our main test site (e.g. mapping). Please also note that the performance of the test site may be affected by developers carrying out work at EH so please do be patient if you experience any problems.

Please do not test any other areas of the site as comments on these areas will not be considered at this point in time. Once I have gathered feedback, I will review the responses and advise you all on the outcome via the HER Forum. The new version will be not be put into the live site until this review has taken place. In order for your view to be considered, please provide me with your feedback by emailing me ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by Wednesday 22nd February. If I do not hear from you I will assume you are happy with the new version replacing the current version at some point in the near future.

http://89.206.186.142/gatewayprototyping/advanced_search.aspx

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Best wishes,
Claire

Claire Hughes
Heritage Gateway & Access to Designation Data Manager
Designation Department
English Heritage
The Engine House
Fire Fly Avenue
Swindon
SN2 2EH
T: 01793 414560

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.

Portico: your gateway to information on sites in the National Heritage Collection; have a look and tell us what you think. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/portico/