Dear all,

A quick distraction over Monday lunchtime - you may be interested to read this article by Kids in Museums founder Dea Birkett on the issue of letting lone teens into museums.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/27/museums-teenagers-salford-safety?CMP=twt_gu

Two particularly interesting points:
- There is (according to the article) no legal reason not to let lone children over the age of 8 into a museum.
- Museums often suggest that lone teens are not let in for their own safety, when the same teens are likely to also spend a lot of time in shopping centres, streets and parks on their own. Museums are arguably much more safe than any of these place. So whose safety are we really talking about?

I'm super busy at the moment, and unfortunately can't get involved in long discussions about this, but thought it might be interesting for you all to see.

All the best,
Elee

Elee Kirk
Freelance Museum Educator & Researcher

School of Museum Studies, University of Leicester
University email: [log in to unmask]