Hi,

You need to model a mean or you run the risk of fitting your data very poorly as a lack of a mean (intercept) in the model implies that the fitted line goes through the origin.  This is rarely the case so an intercept (column of 1s) is always added.  If you can find a basic linear regression book it will explain this further.

The only reason we don't have an intercept in the level 1 analysis is because Feat mean centers both the data and the design.  For higher level analyses this is not done and so we must put the intercept in on our own.

Hope that helps,
Jeanette