Hi,

If you have substantial distortion in your images then it will be difficult/impossible
to get a very good registration with a rigid registration.  However, you could try
using a cost weighting image that is one in all voxels except those in *and around*
the ventricles (you need to include some of the surrounding tissue to get the border)
where the values should be large (say 1000, although try 100, 10000 and 100000
too).  This will have the effect of making the registration concentrate much more on
the ventricle alignment, at the expense of cortical alignment.  If you can't get a good
registration this way then you probably have too much distortion in the images, and
really need a fieldmap.

To run FLIRT with the cost function weighting image you need to make the image
yourself (by hand in FSLView or via fslmaths and segmentation tools) and then
take your original FLIRT results (the matrix) and use this as the -init argument,
together with -nosearch and either -refweight (if the weighting image is aligned
with the reference image) or -inweight (if it is aligned with the input image).

I would also recommend going from DTI to T1 space, and then inverting the
output if you need to transform in the opposite direction.  My experience is that
the T1 works better as the reference image, especially when using the (default)
correlation ratio cost function.

All the best,
	Mark