Hello Donald,

Following your response below:

When I binarise the images as you suggested with the threshold 3 (-thr 3
bin BImg1) the final summedigame is only composed of regions with intensity
0 or 1 (and 1s are awfully extensive).

But when I binarise without using -thr 3 (eg. fslmaths img1 -nan -bin
Bimg1) the final summedimage is composed of regions with the intensity 0,
1, 2 or 3. Do you think this might actually be the correct way to do this ?
I couldnt understand the rationale of thresholding the statistical images
at 3.

Sorry for asking about this again. Thank you very much for your help

Cagri

2012/1/16 MCLAREN, Donald <[log in to unmask]>

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:25 AM, cc yy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> Thank you very much for this detailed information Donald. I apologise for
>> the late response, I have been busy finalising my thesis. I think I will go
>> with 2-b, which was what Michael had suggested too.
>>
>> Can I kindly ask how to convert test results to binary and add them up?
>>

> There are a number of programs that would add them up (FSL, SPM, MATLAB,
> etc.). I prefer MATLAB (load the statistical image (img1); then convert to
> 1s and 0s by creating a second matrix (Bimg1) of zeros using the equation
> Bimg1=zeros(size(img1)); and then Bimg1(img1>0)=1; repeat for the other
> three; then IMG=Bimg1+Bimg2+Bimg3, then save the image). SPM has several
> commands for reading and writing nifti files in MATLAB. In FSL (since this
> is the FSL list):
>
> fslmaths img1 -nan -thr 3 -bin Bimg1
> fslmaths img2 -nan -thr 3 -bin Bimg2
> fslmaths img3 -nan -thr 3 -bin Bimg3
> fslmaths Bimg1 -add Bimg2 summedimage
> fslmaths Bimg3 -add summedimaged summedimage
>

> And would the number of subjects make any  difference in choosing the
>> alternatives you suggested i.e 2-a vs.2-b. My numbers are low for a t-test
>> (i.e. 31, 21, 42, 28 ).
>>

> Nope. The difference between 2a and 2b is in the interpretation.
>

>> Thanks a lot again.
>>
>> Cagri
>>

>> 2012/1/9 MCLAREN, Donald <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> Cagri,
>>>
>>> There are two approaches:
>>> (1) Linear Regression where you have a grouping variable that takes
>>> values 1-4. Then you evaluate the slope of the grouping variable. This
>>> doesn't allow for different variances in each group unless you tell FSL to
>>> allow different variances, but usually doesn't because group is now a
>>> single continuous variable.
>>> (2) Multiple Linear Regression where you have one EV for each group.
>>> There are two potential tests you can use to evaluate this model: (a) 1.5
>>> 0.5 -0.5 -1.5; (b1) 1 -1 0 0; (b2) 0 1 -1 0; (b3) 0 0 1 -1. The variance
>>> for each group can be modelled separately and should be modelled