Thanks Jon

This is fascinating and more informative than some slightly sterile statistics. I am particularly impressed by the fact that this is a mental health study that gives patients a voice about their choice of treatment. In cognitive psychology we were taught that there is little point asking participants about their own cognition because it all happens too fast; yes but we are still aware of its outcome! Is the subjective bias to some extent reduced in importance by the fact that it is the patient's bias rather than the researchers? If the bias is different in every patient they will cancel each other out, and if many are the same it might not be bias, but something important to consider. If the majority share similar subjective experiences of an intervention is this still seen as 'bias'?  I am going back to see if I can find the answers to these and a few other questions.

Jo

From: Jon Brassey <[log in to unmask]>
To: jo kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2012, 15:29
Subject: Re: Evidence Based Approach Question

Hi Jo,

Have you seen Cure Together?  Their blog (http://curetogether.com/blog/) is particularly interesting.  They ask patients to rate various interventions.  While it clearly has associated bias (what doesn't?) I find it fascinating.

I believe that the patient is important in assessing the effectiveness of an intervention, as is the experience of clinicians in using the interventions.  How to overcome the biases is another issue.
BW

jon