Sorry for cross-posting.
Perhaps of interest to you.

Best wishes,

Orsolya Lelkes

*Income Poverty and Social Exclusion in the EU

*
Authors: Orsolya Lelkes and Katrin Gasior

The aim of this Brief is to estimate the degree of social exclusion at
EU level, and to identify the country clusters related to this, and also
to present the level and the trend of poverty at country level.
According to Europe2020 targets, the risk of exclusion is to be measured
by three indicators: at-risk-of-poverty, severe material deprivation,
and living in households with very low work intensity. The EU-SILC for
2009 suggests that overall 113 million people in the EU are at risk of
exclusion according to at least one of these indicators. Some 6.5
million people are deprived according to all three indicators. On this
basis, only a minority, therefore, can be defined as suffering from
severe cumulative disadvantage.
We explored the natural grouping of the three indicators of social
exclusion at a country level across the EU. At a larger level, we find a
cluster of six East-European countries (Hungary, Poland, Lithuania,
Latvia, Bulgaria and Romania) and the rest of the EU. On a more detailed
level, we can identify four country groups.
The at-risk-of-poverty rate varies between 9% and 26% across EU Member
States. We find that the poverty gap is larger in countries with higher
rates of poverty. Between 2004 and 2008, the proportion of population
at-risk-of-poverty declined in the Czech Republic, Ireland, Poland, and
Slovakia. In contrast, the proportion at-risk-of-poverty increased in
Denmark, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Luxembourg, and Sweden. We explored
the robustness of our results by the estimation of confidence intervals
for the poverty rates, and the use of alternative threshold values.

Vienna, 2012
European Centre Policy Brief

Downloadable: http://www.euro.centre.org/detail.php?xml_id=1997

--
Orsolya Lelkes, PhD
European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research