Thank you Ilan and all for your contributions on this.

Whilst I guess I'm guilty in part for bifurcating the conversation away from definitions to the critique of the 'disaster cycle' I have to admit that Ilan's provocation got me thinking.  Accordingly, I followed one of his links, which led me to reach up for my copy of James Lewis' (1999) Development in Disaster Prone Places

From p.129 I reproduce the following:

"What the self-centric 'disaster cycle' did not acknowledge was that there were other sectors of activity continuing outside of the cycle.  Not everything that happened, or that was undertaken, subscribed to this interpretation of natural disaster management, though it invariably did subscribe to the contexts for the impacts of natural disasters themselves.  Development, or simply 'change' was also taking place - of its own inevitable volition or in a planned and programmed way.  Where did 'development' appear in the 'disaster cycle'?

In fact there is not one 'cycle' but two; it is not a 'disaster cycle' but a 'disaster bicycle':

However, the bicycle does the dual system credit that it does not deserve; most bicycles have one rider [...] to do the steering.  Whereas, the disaster cycle and development cycle were not, and still are not, driven by the same authorities.

Of over-riding concern is that the activities of this [bi]cycle of events are implemented by various sectors and are rarely co-ordinated or objectively interrelated. [...] Most crucially, disaster management has become separated from the development of everyday affairs that create vulnerability.

As a result, the activities of one sector may not necessarily subscribe to disaster or vulnerability reduction, which has been made the responsibility of another sector; and by ignorance of processes that subscribe to vulnerability, may actually be making things worse.  Vulnerability has frequently been made, or made worse, by 'development'.  [please excuse minor shortening and emphasis added]

Given that this conversation started with a call to understand the influence of 'change' I can't help but think, on reading James' book, that the straight replacement of his word 'development' with either 'growth' or 'efficiency seeking' allows me to pull this conceptualisation straight into the current 'austerity' context.

Undoubtedly, that's not going to be much of a ground-breaking revelation for some here, but for me it's provided another extremely useful perspective

BW

Hugh