Gary - London is a very big place, and we're in danger of swapping anecdotes. Hackney benefits from there being reasonable routes to the City, and a relative lack of big roads/junctions. Other parts of inner London (particularly south of the river, because of the funneling effect of bridges) aren't as fortunate. There are plenty of nasty roads and junctions in London, and finding your way around on a bike is still too much of a puzzle for most people to be bothered with.

Richard