I managed to delete the email about this but people might be interested to know that in Australia there have been links between anthropologists (and archaeologists) and geographers.

A few notable links that I am aware of that involve anthropologists in various ways.

-          Ongoing collaboration between my colleague Lesley Head and David Trigger eg Head, L., et al., 2005: Culture as Concept and Influence in Environmental Research and Management. Conserv. Soc. 3, 251-264.

-          Connections between geographers such as myself, Leah Gibbs (Wollongong) and Jessica Weir  (Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies) with Deborah Bird Rose. Deborah  has supervised geographers in PhDs and was a mentor for me during my PhD work on settler and indigenous pastoralism in Central Australia. Once you head inland and north in Australia it is hard not trip over anthropologists, both as researchers and employees of the many indigenous organisations, and much of the work that anyone working in those regions needs to draw on is by anthropologists. In this vein, geographer Jocelyn Davies' (CSIRO) work in the Simpson Desert comes to mind.

-          The 'Ecological Humanities' section of Australian Humanities Review. Quite a  cultural studies influence but initiated by  Rose and others. Quite a few geographers, including myself with Kay Anderson have published there.

-          The Ecological Humanities network - a diverse mob. http://ecologicalhumanities.org/index.html

nick

Dr. Nicholas Gill
School of Earth and Environmental Science
University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
Ph: 02 4221 4165
Fax: 02 4221 4250
Skype: nicholas-gill1
http://www.uow.edu.au/science/eesc/eesstaff/UOW002998.html

This e-mail may have been generated using voice recognition software. Please excuse any errors or oddities.