There will be a workshop on the topic on march 30 in Brussels under the framework of ‘slow science’; atelier 3 is exactly about seeking alternatives like ArXiv…Participation is free, welcome to join

Maarten

- Please do circulate this invitation in your networks! -

INVITATION SLOW SCIENCE WORKSHOP, 30 MARCH 2012 - VUB, BRUSSELS

The dismissal of Barbara Van Dyck from KULeuven – for her public support of an action of civil disobedience against a genetically modified potato field in May 2011 – and the arguments used to justify it, caused a public controversy.The controversy
 is the symptom of a deeper malaise and reveals the restructuration of the university into a science enterprise, increasingly dependent on industrial and other outsider interests, market mechanisms, and competition. Science has come to be seen mainly as a purveyor of technological innovation and increased competitiveness on a globalized market. It is argued that this shift not only restricts the choice of research topics and curricula but also threatens the quality of the knowledge.

Confronted with this, the Slow Science movement - that just like the 'slow food' movement defends qualitative food against fast food - urges rethinking the current university, against the fast, competitive, benchmarked research.‘Slow Science’ is about thinking a Science prepared for the future, it is about the quality of research.

On
 March 30th, 2012 (13h-18h), we organise a series of workshops to reflect on different strategies for keeping Slow Science possible. It will take place at the VUB, campus Etterbeek (Auditorium QD).
Isabelle Stengers and Chris Kesteloot will introduce the Workshops with
 A Plea for Slow Science.

After that you can participate in one of the parallel workshops

Atelier 1 _ Festina Lente! Discussing a Slow Science Charter and action plan to work with it
Atelier 2 _ 'Citizen Science’: bridging the gap
Atelier 3
 _ Contesting the commodification and enclosure of scientific knowledge: Towards a University of the Commons

We conclude the day with feedback from the Ateliers and strategies for the future.

You find the invitation for the workshop, including all details
 here or you can dowloand the pdf here.

Download the “plea for Slow Science” by Isabelle Stengers here.
You can find the public lecture online
 1intro, 2stengers, 3stengers, 4debat

The workshop is free of costs, but
 please do confirm your participation at [log in to unmask] and indicate which Atelier you would like to participate in!
The workshop is open for everybody who is interested in what scientists do and the conditions shaping this. We hope to welcome you at the workshops!

The Slow Science Comité
Visit our blog http://threerottenpotatoes.wordpress.com/news/

PS. SUPPORT THE COURT CASE BarbaraVanDyck_KuLeuven!
 Support Account : ‘Slow Science Comité’ BE69 5230 8047 1578

In a few days only a petition to request the withdrawal of the dismissal of Barbara Van Dyck was signed by more than 4000 people, including academics, human rights and environmental activists, and many concerned citizens. The petition was handed over to KuLeuven rector Mark Waer at the beginning of the academic year. Talks have been going on over summer to organise Barbara’s reintegration. Yet the dismissal has not been cancelled! Therefore she has been forced to bring the case before the labour court. You may want to support the court case financially. It is important to win it! The case will be discussed at the Labour Court in  Leuven on
 2012, April 19th